Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I have strong feelings about apathy.

I can remember one and only one fight that I've ever had with my closest friends. We fought about the ethicality of apathy (in reference to whether a person should actively seek to voice their opinions about percieved injustices). I had strong feelings on the matter.

I was reflecting upon that fight (and thinking of the passionate spirit of a close girlfriend of mine), and I was inspired to write this:

Apathy Hath its Place on The River Styx

One should mourn the apathetic drove-
The irresolute and haughty,
Who see the world's subjective torment and its wrong
And dare not speak!
To not speak is a travesty of individualism.
There is no universal Truth
That is worthy of compliance.
At the very least we gain perspective
And learn the value of diffidence.
The catalyst for evolution and progression-
Which is needed in the quest for originality.
And freedom of expression is akin to peace.
So one must negotiate to end the hate-
For peace is a worthy endeavor.
A formidable legacy to leave.


The poem really isn't very good... but it's a start in the "exploring Elaine's ability to emote" directive.

In which a shadowy freedom fighter known only as "E" uses intellectual terrorist tactics to fight against her totalitarian society.


About Me

Followers